Teeth Whitening Dentist Cranebrook
For most of us, a brighter, whiter smile is something we aspire to. Even if you have the most detailed oral hygiene routine, stains and yellowing on our teeth are part of life. Rather than avoid the main stain offenders, coffee, tea and wine, why not undergo professional teeth whitening?
If you lack confidence in your smile due to staining and yellowing, call us today at Cranebrook Dental. We can provide you with an appointment to brighten your smile.
How Professional Teeth Whitening Works
Cosmetic teeth whitening used to be something only celebrities and movie stars engaged in or could afford. These days, teeth whitening is one of the most popular cosmetic dental services. At dental clinics all over the country, patients are undergoing teeth whitening as part of their regular dental care.
This simple to perform dental procedure is suitable for many patients. In particular those who:
- Have significant staining from dietary related causes. Such as excessive tea, coffee, red wine or tobacco consumption. These stains are superficial and sit within the top enamel layer so are easier to lift.
- Have greyed or brown teeth from age, root canal or injury can also benefit from teeth whitening. These stains rest deeper in the teeth beneath the enamel in the dentin. These stains will take longer to remove and may require multiple treatments.
Unfortunately, whitening isn’t for everyone. You should not undergo the procedure if:
- You have chronic tooth sensitivity issues.
- Periodontal disease or other oral health challenges.
- You have or have had oral cancer.
- Your teeth are significantly chipped, cracked or damaged in any way.
- Thinning or damaged enamel.
- You have veneers, crowns, dental implants, bridges or large fillings. These dental restorations are unable to be lightened, causing them to impair the aesthetic result of whitening treatments. To lighten restoration, you must replace them entirely.
What To Expect When Having Your Teeth Whitened
Teeth whitening usually takes around 90 minutes per treatment. On average you can expect your teeth to be 2-3 shades whites after a single treatment. If more lightening is preferred, you can safely undertake additional treatments.
- Your dentist or dental hygienist will place a lip retractor in your mouth to keep your lips away from your teeth and gums.
- A rubber dam (protective film) is applied to your gums to prevent damage from the bleaching agent.
- The inside of your lips and cheeks is painted with a protective gel. This ensures no burning to the soft tissue from the bleaching product.
- A bleaching product, usually professional-strength hydrogen peroxide gel, is then painted on your teeth.
- An ultraviolet light or state of the art laser is then directed at your mouth to speed up the whitening process and enhance the results.
After around 20-30 minutes the light is switched off and the bleach removed.
Does Tooth Whitening Hurt?
How Long Does Teeth Whitening Last
Immediately after teeth whitening, you should avoid food and drink that can cause staining. This is because the pores of your tooth enamel remain open for a period of time post-treatment.
During this time, your teeth are particularly susceptible to collecting new stains. So skip the beetroot, red wine and coffee for at least 24-48 hours.
Ultimately, the longevity of treatment depends on your diet and dental care habits. Tooth whitening can last anywhere between 6 months and two years.
Experience Quality Cosmetic Dentistry At Cranebrook Dental
Call Cranebrook Dental for high quality dental whitening and other cosmetic dentistry services. We care for patients in Cranebrook, Emu Plains, Penrith NSW and surrounds. Our team can make you an appointment time to discuss your ideal smile with one of our dentists. Your whitest, brightest smile is just a phone call away.
Don’t Live In Cranebrook? We Also Welcome Patients From the Following Surrounding Areas
Our care for our patients extends beyond our immediate area, this is why our Cranebrook dental practice also offers general dentistry and related dental services to other nearby areas such as: